A Barn Pottery-style tablet, at a fraction of the price
Pottery Barn is an American furniture chain, operating in USA, Canada and Puerto Rico. It offers classic furniture and quality bath and bed sheets. The timeless style of their collections is undeniable. We love it!
As an example, the Holman, Ledges and Shelves shelves from Pottery Barn are inspiring and available in 2 formats, 5 colors and 4 lengths.
Much diversity, but expect to pay the following prices to obtain them in 4 foot lengths: 129$ and 149$ USD. Outch!
Why not just get inspired of it? And save… A lot!
- Finish gun nail
- 18 gauges nail
- 1.5 inches screws
- Wood glue
To build a shelf, you will need three wood or MDF pieces.
- A 1×2 piece (our rectangle #1322 of 3/4″ x 2-1/2″ format);
- A 1×3 piece (our rectangle #1323 of 3/4″ x 3-1/2″ format);
- A 1×4 piece (our rectangle #1324 of 3/4″ x 4-1/2″ format);
- Paint or stain, as you prefer.
You ca also make the bottom with a 1×4 piece (our rectangle #1324 of 3/4″ x 4-1/2″ format) so that your shelf is a little deeper. Practical if you are considering multiple framework.
Four easy steps:
- Fix the bottom of the rear part (#1324) with 1.5 wood screw to the thickness of the horizontal part (#1323). You will obtain an “L” shaped piece.
- Use a finish gun nail and some wood glue to fix the front part (#1322). The glue is only a supplementary precaution to make sure nothing move when the framework will be placed.
- Using a stud detector, determine and mark the location of the wood structure in the wall.
- Fix the shelf where the studs were determined using 1.5 wood screws.
Our rectangles #1322, #1323 et #1324 are available in finger jointed pine, select pine and in white primed MDF.
For full details on these products, click here.
We recommend you to paint or stain the shelf before installing it to the walls. Use pore cache to hide screw and nails. Coat lightly and touch up with paint or stain.
Photos frame, painting or small decorative ornaments will nicely improve your shelves. In the end, you will obtain a decorative, practical and distinctive accessory… And affordable!
Photos source: Pottery Barn, Thrifty Decor Chick and MissKyreeloves (on Instagram)